Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lime Crime Velvetines and Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipstick Review

Lime Crime have had a lot of bad press and as a self professed lover of drama, I have spent longer than I'd care to admit reading over blogs and tumblrs dedicated to reporting all the failings of this brand.

I am however weak and easily swayed when it comes to pretty lipstick, so forgetting momentarily that I have no money I ordered some velvetines and a Jeffree Star liquid lipstick to see what the fuss was about. I ordered them from DollsKill at about $15 each, after import costs and postage it came to around £90 for all six.



From Left to Right; Jawbreaker, Jinx, Wicked, Pumpkin, Squash and Beet it

The packaging is lovely and I've kept all the boxes, but when it comes to the tubes themselves, the velvetines feel very light and kind of cheap when compared to the Jeffree Star. The Jeffree Star is also contains considerably more product and feels better value for the price. 

Lime Crime Velvetines Jeffree Star Jawbreaker
(Messy) swatches, I'm clumsy. From Left to Right; Jawbreaker, Squash, Pumpkin, Beet it, Wicked and Jinx

After a very good scrub with a makeup wipe

They are all incredibly pigmented and are fairly difficult to remove once applied. I'm still sporting coloured stripes on my arm a good few hours later. The velvetines also have a strong and slightly unpleasant scent that reminds me a lot of playdoh.

They are still incredibly pigmented on the lips and I found them very easy to apply with the doe foot applicator, I find that I don't really need to use a lip liner to get a clean edge. 

Lime Crime Velvetine in Jinx

Lime Crime Velvetine in Wicked

Lime Crime Velvetine in Beet it

Lime Crime Velvetine in Pumpkin

Lime Crime Velvetine in Squash

Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipstick in Jawbreaker

I found that Jinx applied slightly more patchy and had a thinner formula than the others, but this was easily rectified by adding another coat. Out of all of the shades I like Pumpkin best, I find it to be the most wearable and have had many compliments on it while out and about. All six last fairly well, though I did find that I had to reapply a few times throughout the day and after eating as they did lose colour in the center of my lips. 

You would definitely need to use a lip scrub before and probably after using any of these as they are fairly drying, the velvetines considerably more so than the Jeffree Star. They do become fairly uncomfortable and I feel very conscious of how dry my lips look. The Jeffree Star feels far more moist and I feel it looks a little less matte than the velvetines. 

Overall I think they're good lipsticks, but I'm not sure how worth the hefty price tag they are. If I was to buy more I think I'd probably go for more of the Jeffree Star Liquid lipsticks as they're more comfortable, It's just that Lime Crime seem to offer a better range of colours at the moment. 

Let me know what you've thought of your Lime Crime or Jeffree Star Lipsticks in the comments! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

COCOPOCALYPSE

(attempted) BEAUTY BLOGGER

I'm 20, I live in brighton and I love make up, baking, dogs, music and the strange.

I plan on attempting to construct something reasonably readable but promise nothing.